Last week, I sent an email to a big batch of new Bloc students whose future program start date was approaching. Upon reflection, I thought my note would be worthwhile to share more broadly, specifically so those who might be considering Bloc have the appropriate expectations before they enroll.
———- Forwarded message ———-
From: Clint Schmidt
Subject: Before you start at Bloc…
Top 5 Keys to Success:
1) Commit the time. This is by far the most important tip. We’ve specified a certain number of hours per week for each pace of each program. These are not suggestions! If you can’t dedicate the required time to your program, ask your mentor to shift you to a less intense pace right away. You’ll thank yourself, because it’s tough to catch up if you fall too far behind.
2) Avoid lulls. We’ve seen how student momentum through Bloc suffers when they step away for more than a day or two. You build learning momentum when you complete some of your Bloc roadmap each day, so prepare your weekly schedule to allow for a steady cadence of Bloc.
3) Make good use of your mentor! Learning to clearly articulate your questions is an important skill, and we’ve seen how much time can be wasted in message correspondence and mentor appointments when your questions or areas of need are unclear. It’s also wise to spend a few minutes before each mentor appointment defining the items/topics you’d like to cover, in order of importance.
4) Ride the roller coaster. Your learning journey will include thrilling “I did it” breakthroughs and moments of keyboard-pounding frustration. These highs and lows are common and expected – maintain a steady hand! You can do this if you persevere, just as thousands of Bloc students before you have done.
5) Learn to forage. Even the most experienced software developers and designers rely on foraging skills in their day-to-day jobs. You’ll thrive when you become similarly adept at foraging for answers amid the growing abundance of valuable resources on the internet. Embrace it!
- PLEASE contact our Student Success team at email@example.com if you have a question or need help! We’ll be there for you! You should expect to receive a response from us within 24 hours.
- Right after your program has started, join the Bloc Student Slack Group and the Bloc Hacker Club on Facebook. Both are great for moral support, encouragement, and networking.
- Remember this: if software development and design were easy professions, the current talent deficit wouldn’t exist. Persistence and sustained enthusiasm for the journey will be your biggest assets!
- Some people just need more time to master the material. If you need more time to complete your program, you can purchase a 1-month extension.
Finally, although I’m perpetually on the brink of email bankruptcy, I really covet your feedback. Most of your issues are best resolved by our Student Success team (firstname.lastname@example.org) but please write me if there’s something on your mind. I promise to read every message, and if I can’t respond, I’ll route your message to the appropriate people at Bloc to help.
So get some rest before your program starts, and get your batteries fully charged. We can’t wait to see what you can do.